CAPALBIO AND ITS HISTORIC CENTER
It is accessed by a door overlaid by the coat of arms with the golden lion of Siena showing a bald human head, a symbol of the country.
It is dominated by the ancient castle of Aldobrandesca, restored by the Senesi, now home to important exhibitions and cultural events (there is still the Fortepiano Conrad Graf played by Giacomo Puccini).
It has a burial tower and is preserved by hollow slopes and runners' walk, from which you can enjoy the endless panorama of the plain, the sea line and the profiles of the islands of the Tuscan archipelago.
The Romanesque church of San Nicola (in the village) is worth a visit, with its interior walls decorated with 14th century and Renaissance frescoes and Romanesque capitals with zoomorphic images, grape rams, palmettes, rosettes and stylized leaves, and the Oratorio della Provvidenza, outside the walls, where a fresco is attributed to the Pinturicchio (circa 1510) depicting the Madonna on the throne with the child, angels and saints.