"Montian, wild country crouching on top of a hill ..."
(C.A. Niccolosi, 1911)
The historic center of the small hamlet consists of two nuclei of buildings enclosed within a circle of fifteenth-century walls, today largely embedded in the buildings. The castle, Castrum Montianus, was built by the Aldobrandeschi between 1000 and 1100.
It overlooks the small church of San Giuseppe of the sixteenth century origin and an internal courtyard accessible from a door overlaid by the Medici coat of arms.